7.2

Today's the day I bussed up to the Prince of Wales outpatient clinic to collect the results of last week's blood test. I had to make an appointment at the clinic to collect and consult with the medico. It's been 9 months since I last had a blood test, and preceding that test by 3 months was a previous test. The star figure, the number in question in all my blood readings, is my HbA1c.

Today's was 7.2.

In Nov 2008 it was 7.3. I improved it down to 6.6 by February 2009. Now it's climbed back up. In short, the HbA1c measures the amount of glucose present in hemoglobin over a period of about 10-12 weeks. It's a fairly good indicator of how one's at with diabetes control, in measuring the average amount of glucose in the bloodstream over a period of three months.

And my control ain't disastrous, but it does need improving. Otherwise they're gonna force the meds back on me and this time around I won't be in a position to turn the other cheek and silently spit the little white pills out onto the ground.

I noticed that my fasting glucose was 9.6. That's bad, really. HbA1c and fasting glucose should be in the 4.0-6.0 as normal-range readings. For diabetics this figure can move up a bit, into the sixes. The fact that I've hit 7+ means that I'll have to be monitored closely; by the time I return to the clinic up at Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, in March 2010, they'd like me to come down ideally to around the 6.5 mark.

What to do, what to do....

I suppose I need to watch the diet more, especially when I'm doing take-away. And keep the alcohol to a minimum too. I need to relax and slither my body into some kind of yogic sync, but I'm not particular a yoga kind of guy. I just need to be vigilant and keep my eye on it. I'm hoping I can get my readings back down to the mid-sixes.

If I don't do anything, and hover around the '7+' figure for a few more years, my slip will eventually begin to show, the cracks will burst open very crudely. I'll develop complications, seemingly out of nowhere. At worst I'll develop chronic renal failure, I'll require amputation, and I'll go blind. And my dick will fall off too.

So it's in my best interests to maintain my health as much as possible.

My cholesterol was higher than usual, 4.8, which isn't a bad figure in itself, but for diabetics the optimum figure is below 4. Thankfully my eyes are in perfect health, as are my kidneys. There was no protein in my urine; urine in the kidneys being a firm indicator that the endocrine functions are going awry.

In other words, I better act while I'm ahead.

I don't mind if I have to go back to medication. It'll help keep me in check. I don't have to worry about this for a few months and until then I'll battle on to reverse the condition, to go under 7 as far down as possible.

When I reversed diabetes originally I achieved something that was nothing short of the miraculous. I went from the deathly 16+ HbA1c, down to - at its very best - 5.2, smack-bang in the normal range. Since then it's steadily crept up. Can my body do it of its own volition? Can I get my HbA1c down to below 7, below 6 even?

Time will tell.

Until then I remain strangely unfussed.

Comments

JuanRa Diablo said…
Hello Ross
I'm JuanRa from Spain
I used to write comments in Mary's blog (The kintting songbird) but I haven't known about her for several months. Do you know if she's OK?
Thank you

Popular posts from this blog

Barry Long's autobiography

Article: Ringside Cold Chisel

Neil Finn: a man I love, a man I hate