Recording, Sound Dog Studios, Oct 09


I had so much fun and fulfillment today. I was doing what I loved. I was asked to come into the studio to lay down some bass tracks for six songs. I'd already recorded five tracks for my friend's album three months ago. And this morning he calls me and says he can imagine a ukulele on one of the tracks, so I tag that along and hope for the best, even though I haven't touched the uke in months.
Gav gave me these songs to learn, with accompanying charts, about six weeks ago. Naturally enough, like just about everything else I do, I've left it to the last possible minute to learn these songs. I flipped open the charts last Monday night and finally listened to the songs. I was beginning to sweat faintly, my stress levels rising, thinking that there's no way I could learn these songs in 5 days. The next night, still slightly stressed, I attacked the mp3s and charts again. On this night I fell into the groove and started to feel and understand these songs. I felt by that point that I could do it. The only other time I could rehearse the songs was last night, by which point I felt I had them up and running ok, and good enough to learn the 'optional' sixth song and shove that in the bag for recording time.

So today I carry my bass and uke to the studio during the mid-afternoon. It's always great to see Stewy, the owner of Sound Dog recording studios. He is a super-good guy and one of my favourite people, and I always love working with him. There they were, a bass guitar and ukulele, really one and the same thing though one of them is bonsai. Four strings, one's an elephant, one's a baby turtle.

It was fun and soulful to play these songs, and I got off on hearing the fender jazz bass groove warmly through the speakers. The uke added a vintage, 20s element to the song we used it for. I got paid a hundred bucks for the gig. What better way to get paid than this!! Fun, personal satisfaction & fulfillment, and a hundred bucks. This is the life, and I want more of it!! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barry Long's autobiography

Article: Ringside Cold Chisel

Neil Finn: a man I love, a man I hate