Secrets

I've uploaded a freshly recorded track onto MySpace, a song called Secrets that I'd written some six years ago. It's the last of my "production" songs that didn't make my Sea in June album of 2006, partly because I felt that it was too much of a musical and thematic departure from the songs that comprised that album. The other reason for not including Secrets on that album is that it's quite a "big" song, ie quite linear and almost complex, thus deserving in my mind a standing on its own. I plan to put this out on an EP with some other recordings that are subsequent to the album.

Pleasingly it only took us about 2 1/2 - 3 days to record this song. I was expecting the recording to take a little longer. I teamed up again with Stewart Havill who recorded and engineered the track at his Sound Dog Recording Studios in Lane Cove. Stewart created the drum track with my assistance, otherwise the track is totally my performance. Stewart again assisted with the production and mix and his masterful expertise with eq-ing and mixdown helped along the process so much. Stewart is always able to take any of my ideas and find concrete solutions within Logic Pro 8, and also with the programs that allow you to choose any "real" amp, piano, or drumkit you like and tweak it from there.


This song was musically influenced, at least initially, by the Style Council with all those major 7th chords in the choruses etc, and the prominent Bm7 within the verses. To some extent 'Secrets' does have an eighties feel to it. I feel faint strands of Sade as I listen to this albeit this is a lot heavier than Sade. The track has a kind of "Canadian" vibe it, but most likely that's my own personal impression due to Vancouver being name-dropped in the lyrics, and that I used a Canadian electric-guitar to record the song. Still, I do whiff a bit of Toronto in this track. Go the maple leaves.


It also sounds like the very early Cure, particularly the intro. The ending is a little tongue-in-cheek in my opinion. I wanted that outdoor stadium-rock sound with the cock-rock 70's guitar sound where you can imagine 80,000 arm-wavers in unison with cigarette lighters in the air. The song is fairly universally themed. Here are the lyrics. Do go into MySpace and listen.

Secrets

© Ross B 2009

Coming home with me
Some good old fashioned company, making love and making free
I never asked about your past
It haunts you to this day, but I’m aware it makes no difference

You came to my life
You hit me like a freight train
blasting through the trees the pigtail breeze
It was all I need, until you halted in your tracks

Your secret’s safe with us
You can’t afford another relationship that turns to dust
Your secret’s safe with us
And when it’s over you cry swim or bust

Sheltered in the rain
I’m held up in Vancouver
I’ve flown around the world to lose the pain
but you won’t fly with me
you’re anchored to your past, you’re weighed down by emotion

Your secret’s safe with us
You can’t afford another relationship that turns to dust
Your secret’s safe with us
And when it’s over you cry swim or bust

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barry Long's autobiography

Article: Ringside Cold Chisel

Neil Finn: a man I love, a man I hate