Bobbin Head



Yesterday I stole myself out to Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, situated at the upper-north shore of Sydney, for a bushwalk. I'd been looking forward to some serious tree action all week, to immerse myself in primal, living 'real' estate. The only problem was that, despite the closing down of summer and the arrival of autumnal equinox, it turned out to be one of the steamiest and hottest days of the year. By the time I finished my walk after some three or so hours I was ready to combust, hyperventilating and sweating as I was almost dangerously. And looking ahead at the weather forecast that's projected onto the coming week, I can see no sign of an evening come-down in temperatures. It's usually by late-March that morning minimum temperatures begin their healing descent into cooler, sleep-easy realms.

I stopped off at Turramurra on the way to the national park. Turramurra, like all of the upper-north shore, is a leafy village that's bisected by the Pacific Highway. There remains an air of hazy, supernal nonchalance about Turramurra, as if old-standing values remain sacrosanct in the many leaves that breathe their living lives there. If I were to suddenly be transported back to 1967, I would be sure to find that the suburb would feel no different. Turramurra, in its lofty leafiness, seems to transcend both time and place, and with it, the prevailing attitudes of those who dwell in somewhat 'lesser' locales.

I turned into Bobbin Head Road and drove right to the end. My great-uncle - I call him the "main man" - lives with his wife in a retirement village right up at the end of Bobbin Head Road where one of the many entrances to the national park is situated. I didn't visit him but I would like to sometime.

My first port of call on my hike took me to the 'Sphinx'. It was kind of like a mini-Egypt with gum trees in the background.






Here is the Bobbin Head in. I love Art Deco architecture and fonts.

A view from Bobbin Head Trail when descending into Bobbin Head.

Classic Australian bush. Ku-ring-gai National Park was the locale for the filming of the 'Skippy the bush kangaroo' series c. late sixties.

Down at the Bobbin Head picnic grounds.
Ubiquitous (and happy) ducks.

This tree will be glowing amber within the next few weeks.
I love interesting rock formations. You can see a face in this one. You can see faces in most rock formations if you look hard enough.

Gorgeous Gecko!!

This lizard was huge! And beautiful. It stuck its tongue out. It wasn't blue.
Twisty tai-chi roots.

It amazes me how Ku-ring-gai National Park, situated at the northern end of Sydney, differs markedly in vibe from the Royal National Park that's situated at the southern-most end of Sydney. Whilst the fauna, for the most part, remains the same, you'll find that Ku-ring-gai has a vibrant, mercurial, even "warring" energy about it. The Royal National park, on the other hand, is more sedate, damp, more ancient in its emanation, as if she will not release her secrets easily, if at all. In Ku-ring-gai, if you gaze at an interesting flower or herb, you can feel the spirit of the land bursting to tell you of its properties and powers. I love the Royal National Park, but I think I'll come to open myself up to Ku-ring-gai more.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Seems positively lovely. Can't wait to visit Australia some day.

Gord McCockran, Tampa Florida USA

Popular posts from this blog

Barry Long's autobiography

Article: Ringside Cold Chisel

Neil Finn: a man I love, a man I hate