Child of Abbey Road


I bought an i-Pod recently. I've discovered it to be a most useful toy. It's fun to be able to listen to music in the car shuffled, so that you hear songs out of context with each other. Somehow you tend to listen better to each song, hear it fresh and new, and not take it so much for granted as you do when you're listening to it as part of an album. Besides, you get to hear songs you haven't heard in ages, songs from albums that you don't usually think to bung into your stereo, and that can be delightful to the musical senses!

On the flight home from Cairns, as I was gazing down 10,000 metres onto the Queensland hinterland, I had the headphones of my i-Pod firmly entrenched into my ears. Only I didn't shuffle the songs this time, instead I was moved to listen to the Beatles' Abbey Road. As all my close friends would testify I'm a beatlemaniac if ever there was one. The Beatles are in my blood, so much so that I don't really need to listen to them anymore, they've influenced me so much as it is and their music has assimilated fully into my musical senses. Abbey Road however is a special album for me. I find it to be a very emotive and stirring record. In part this is because the Beatles were disbanding and you sense in this quite unified collection a sense of ending, the end of an era. From the opening sounds of "Come Together" - where John Lennon whispers a totally ominous "shoot me..." - to the finale of McCartney's medley, you sense that this is music that whips up the celebratory consciousness of that era and whirlpools it down the drain so that after that there is no more. Abbey Road is the final album the Beatles recorded although Let it Be, recorded some six months earlier, would be released later than Abbey Road, in 1970.

There is another reason as to why Abbey Road moves me so much, and that is it's because I was conceived at the time of the making of this album. I was born in March 1970, around the time Let it Be was released. Yet there's something in the spirit of Abbey Road that makes me feel that while the album symbolised the end of an era, I as a body/being carried the seed to a new start, a new beginning. I had taken the energy of what had gone before me into my new life, and I feel that energy aligned very closely with Abbey Road, moreso than any other music or anything else for that matter. It's as if whatever creative force had woven through the Beatles in the creation of Abbey Road, it was that same force that spun me into this new life.

It makes me wonder as to the power of conception. Was I conceived at just the right time? It is mere accident or was it meant to be that I came out at precisely that time. It tend to feel it's the latter, and certainly astrologers & taroists, numerologists and all forms of spiritualists would agree with that also.

My dad had just turned 40 when I was born. I'll be turning 40 in March next year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barry Long's autobiography

Article: Ringside Cold Chisel

Neil Finn: a man I love, a man I hate