Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Neil Finn solo concert review...

Sweet news: I had my first article published in suite 101 yesterday.  Over time I hope to build up a revenue stream with it; supply more articles, make more money.  If it comes to making about a coffee's worth of coin per year I'll be happy enough.


Here is my article for suite 101, a review of Neil Finn's solo concert at the Seymour Centre in Sydney from a couple of weeks ago: click here


I'm not entirely happy with this article.  I feel it's too self-conscious, wooden even, constrained.  I'm hoping in time I'll learn to relax just like I do on this blog and be able to write a bit more casually.


I blew Neil an Italian-style opera-arrivederci kiss during the standing ovation.  Neil caught this and beamed in a flash as his eyes met mine momentarily.  I couldn't help but chuckle at this, to think that a year ago I wrote a decidedly salt'n'pepper article all to do with my mixed feelings about the man, why I loved him, why I hate him.  (link)  I haven't re-visited that article since, but I plan to re-read it after I finish this entry.  I do receive occasional comments for that entry, the last two of which were attempts to put the controversial bits back on me.  I've nothing to hide.  It was just an article.  What primarily interests me is how I've evolved so that I  seem to love all his work unconditionally now, whereby up to relatively recently I happened to find much of his work intensely annoying.


Take 'Love you till the day I die', for instance.  I used to detest that song; I found it to be a 3-minute quasi-funk vomit.  Well, I love it now.  And Neil being Neil, there's almost always a touch of genius in every song he creates.  The middle-eight section of 'Love you till the day I day' is a wonderfully inspired piece of music, great music.  Mozart would have given his praise to this.  Besides, this music dates very well, extremely well.


Needless to say I am a fan and have great respect for Neil Finn; the music and the man.  The solo concert was sublime, one of the most rewarding concerts I've ever attended.  And I'm glad I've evolved and grown enough to see the overriding good in the music and the man, and to have cast aside the negatives.

No comments:

Al-Anon

enjoying a bevvy Awakening to the ‘good’ in our lives and to the fulfilling sense of gratitude which follows often comes to us via ...