Saturday, March 6, 2010

the hunt is on

The hunt is on. I inspected a couple of lovely, small art deco apartments in Kingsford this morning, two blocks away from UNSW. My nephew and I met up for some breakfast at one of the numerous cafes on Coogee Bay Road, accompanying me later to the inspections for some guidance and moral support, of which there was plenty, and of which I'm grateful.

My problem is that I just don't have a bloodlust for property, meaning that I'm just not going to jump over hoops to be the highest bidder. Property prices are exorbitant, but if these are the prices people are willing to pay, or to be more precise, borrow from the bank, then so be it. I think it's best to proceed carefully and inspect as many properties as possible before making the decision to jump through the hoop like an innocent dolphin at a friggin' playpark.

The apartments I inspected were within two attractive dark-red brick art deco blocks standing right next to each other. One was a two-bedder with no balcony and no garage but a car-space instead. It was renovated and presented tastefully. There were no laundry facilities within the apartment. The second apartment was a one-bedder that had a small balcony and lock-up garage, but the kitchen was rather shonky and in need of some tasteful renovation, with a washing machine dangling around in one of the corners. All up though, I felt pleased to be inspecting these properties. Art Deco apartments tend to have very homely room differentiation, and with high ceilings, are actually very cosy and livable. They're architecturally very well designed and built.

Both apartments were like thoroughfares for the royal easter show, or new years eve in the city. There are loads of people sniffing around for property right now. They all tend to wear the same, rather circumspect, facial expressions at these inspections, like they've sniffed bad egg, or been caught with their dirty laundry. It's pretty much the same expression you see in people who are standing in queues to buy lottery tickets. Eye contact is avoided. And that's a shame really. We should all see this caper for what it is and rejoice that we're alive and well enough to walk up the stairs to view the apartment in the first place!!!

Unless I become more motivated I'll never buy anything. I don't enjoy dealing with solicitors and building inspections etc. But this is the plan: I'll inspect a lot, see a lot, and then I'll decide on what I really want. And when I think about it, what I want is a permaculture garden somewhere out of the city. But the city is where the work and art is. We're back at the bottom of the circle now.

And if you're bidding soon, good luck to you! ;)

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I think your approach, that is, a cautious one, is best, Ross. We've seen what happens when banks loan exorbitant mortgages carte blanche here in the states; the banks knew better and people should have been asking themselves whether they could really afford it.

Wish I could enjoy a cafe with you! Sounds lovely. You're savvy. I bet you'll find the perfect apartment at a reasonable price.

redgrevillea said...

Thank you, Anne. You're in my thoughts and I do hope you're keeping well.

I'm hoping the market here will cool down as it's extremely difficult to break into now. Property is not the be-all-and-end-all, although it's seemingly programmed into us, however subliminally, that property is the be-all-and-end-all. I want to keep my perspective and grasp on reality and not get suckered into what is an often harsh, volatile carnival.

Al-Anon

enjoying a bevvy Awakening to the ‘good’ in our lives and to the fulfilling sense of gratitude which follows often comes to us via ...