Thursday, February 26, 2009

the things we do


It's difficult to write when you're not feeling well. Or more to the point it's difficult thinking of things to write about when you're sick. I've had this annoying chest infection for the past few days that's landed me in bed since Tuesday. On Wednesday I discovered I had a parking ticket because my car was across the road by the drive-in bottle shop that's a clearway from 4-6pm. I was too sick to even think about moving the damn car and so I'm stuck with an $81 fine. I may contest it but I realise I'm lucky to have copped an $81 fine than suffer a DUI charge, which has not happened to me, and hopefully never will.....

I'm feeling better now actually but I took to bed this afternoon and woke up feeling a little woeful with that terrible chest feeling, like the bugs have decided to seep into it permanently and you're left perpetually drained and depleted.

I finished reading Rupert Thomson's 'The Book of Revelation'. I loved it, it was sinister & sad, hopeful & plaintive with a nasty sting delivered in the tail, ending as it did like Albert Camus' 'The Outsider' with that sudden downward spiral into tragic oblivion, with both of the books' antagonists resigned to their respective fates.

I must say that one of the best purchases I have ever made has been to buy an i-Mac. I bought it last December with the proceeds of a tax-return cheque. The reasons as to why I chose a Mac has been detailed in a previous blog but the short of it is I was stuffed around by Dell and I threw threw the terminal back at them, spontaneously opting for the Mac. Computing has now become addictive and I love how I can upload songs and photos with ease on MySpace & Facebook. I love playing around with i-Photo & i-Movie and really, this has been a great asset for me.

I'd like to sell some stuff though. I keep thinking that I'd like to sell one of my acoustic guitars but I can never decide on which one to sell. I'm on Ebay but have never used it and my registration to B-Pay has turned out to be a confusing exercise so I'm not sure if I'm in or not. Maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, ie, not sell anything, but not buy anything either. I use all of my musical instruments anyway.

The 'party of a lifetime' last Saturday was pretty good. I didn't stay until the end though, I walked out at 11:30pm and caught the last bus home. Apparently it went through to 2am and the ragers kept at it, partying at the Regent until 6am. I ate finger-food and drank some beers and they didn't particularly agree with me. I woke up on Sunday feeling fairly ordinary and didn't actually recover, that left-of-kilter feeling metmorphosing into the flu that I'm fighting off now.

People asked me if Cate was there. I said I didn't see her and the answer is "probably not". I was involved in the registration process at the beginning and that great fun; I ticked off names, implemented wrist-bands and gave each attendee a short speil on where to proceed. I spoke to a fair amount of people that night and flitted about and I enjoyed (as we all did) the one-hour concert/presentation in the main theatre. Casting my memory back to the event I was tired so it's no surprise I left early. But then, I have the feeling the entire world is tired anyway and parties like these are the Last Days of Rome. I've nothing against that, I'm all for it, but what are we partying ourselves into?? Economic dislocation, accelerating climate change, global food & energy shortages leading to famine and population die-off on an international scale.

I hope there's time to do the things I want to do, with the people I wish to do them with. To love and to serve. And to keep playing with my i-Mac, my camera, and my ukuleles...

...the things we do.

7 comments:

The Knitting Songbird said...

I've just been proof reading another one of Ivan's scientific papers and have been feeling really depressed as a result. I really don't think that most of the planet realises the magnitude of the crap that awaits us...all I can say is heaven have mercy...

ZaraMeow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lian said...

Everything has its reason... if you try to understand. So nothing is unforgivable, really.

btw, I find the word "ukulele" really has its magic. Every time I read it, I feel like I'm going to laugh.

Enjoy. Hope you feel better soon, Ross.

Lian said...

It was a day all the flowers closed their petals; it was a day a child jumped off the cliff.

Chest aching isn't all that bad, Ross. It tells you how precious it was when you were healthy. And sometimes it is that kind of illness that only beautiful people can have.

Lian said...

ZaraMeow, please don't make any mistake about my comments(oh stupid me...!!!). I was speaking my own old story, which is I don't really know if Ross can understand or not. I probably was just speaking to myself.

And songbird, I know the feeling... it is a really nice feeling. Believe me I know. And I deeply appreciate it, that after so many years you still have it.

A nice weekend to you all.

Lian said...

I feel so ashamed to say that word "forgive" now, Ross. can't listen to it... I rarely drink but today I just need some strong alcohol.

I only wish tomorrow I'd forget everything that ever happened. nothing ever happened. nothing at all.

ross b said...

Hey Lian I must confess I don't quite follow the thread!!! lol. Don't worry - that blog was a ramble anyway, I've moved onto another one with more purpose. Thanks for your comments I really appreciate them. But if you need some strong alcohol today I do too - for you to warm the cold Seoul wind, for me to soothe the chest!

Have a good weekend! Ross

Al-Anon

enjoying a bevvy Awakening to the ‘good’ in our lives and to the fulfilling sense of gratitude which follows often comes to us via ...