Saturday, February 28, 2009

Diamicron baby


I've posted a new song up on my MySpace page. It's not a new song verily, it's just that it's yet to find itself on my myspace jukebox. So here it is, from my album 'sea in june', Diamicron Baby.

I wish I'd called the album 'Diamicron Baby'. I just wished I'd stuck to my instincts and named it that. 'Sea in June' is too wimpy and is not quite indicative of the tone of the record. 'Diamicron Baby' is faraway a more powerful title than 'Sea in June' and I think a better statement to promote. I suppose the only problem I forsaw is that "Diamicron" is registered brand-name, for the sulponylurea family of drugs. Charming really.

Of all my songs many people like this one the best. I can see their point. It's powerful, vicious, emotive and visceral, and it's well recorded. I think this is my finest recording actually, I'm very proud of every aspect of it. I love the mix, the guitars, the way the vocal is slightly buried in the mix. The keyboard/organ in the background. And I did the damn lot, except for the drums, having left my engineer Stewart Havill to deal with those - although I produced those along with him. The only thing I would change is some of the vocals, the enunciation of the words, such as "sugar" at the beginning of the song, could have been better phrased. I've realised in hindear some backing vocals in the middle-section wouldn't have gone astray. Other than that I'd be pleased to say this is the best song I've recorded, it's turned out perfectly, or near-perfect, and that's good enough.

Musically the song owes a bit of debt to the Church, namely Under the Milky Way if you can hear it, and also to my mate Gav Fitzgerald whose chord progressions from his song 'Imperfections' I healthily borrowed in the verses - you could never tell though.

The song, ostensibly, is about illness. Though it's more reaching than that. It's about angst, or, the seismic subterranean emotions many of us live with tide in & tide out.

enjoy.

Sugar sugar lend me your velvet touch
lacerate me with your scalpel
i got the glucose rush

my nerves are bursting
sweet disharmony
i gotta fly for beer and water
to quench this murderous thirsting

i want you i need you
i want something soothing for my soul

with diamicron baby yeah!

sugar sugar how i long to be with you
in your luscious lethal grip
to drain every ounce of sweetness from you

holy water can't feel my feet
my body rattles like a bag of bones
riding high on death-kissed energy

i need you i crave you
i'll kill for some loving for my soul

with diamicron baby yeah!

well i've bin good to god
i've said my prayers at night
but i still keep vampires in my soul
leeching off my innocence
turning into violence
now i crave the sweetness of the cane......

sugar sugar give me one last chance
in this walking desert
the ocean ain't enough to quench the starving sands

i want you i need you
give me all you got until i drown!!!

with diamicron baby yeah!

- by Ross B. copyright.

2 comments:

The Knitting Songbird said...

Love that song. Underneath the "boppy" beat there's as you say something powerful and visceral. There's also a very strong sense of longing. Not for sugar, but for something much, much sweeter ;)

ross b said...

Thanks KS, yes the song's probably about self-love and self-acceptance as much as anything, for when you don't have those the ocean ain't enough to quench the starving sands, as i-sing!

I'm glad you like the song ~ Bests, Ross

Al-Anon

enjoying a bevvy Awakening to the ‘good’ in our lives and to the fulfilling sense of gratitude which follows often comes to us via ...