Monday, July 28, 2008

winter blues & fresh spring greens



Some photos of Darling Harbour taken on the weekend of a music festival back in November 2007. Why am I blogging this?? Because I'm in desperate need of warmth and sunshine!!! This is merely a reminder of balmier, joyous days, a therapeutic blog...
I used to love the wintertime. In recent years I've switched over to being a summer person, despite the months of bog-awful humidity that's to be endured, particularly Feb/March. And although I haven't been over to the northern hemisphere during their wintertime it amazes me that people from some of the friggin' coldest places on the planet actually tell me that Sydney is colder in winter!
That's because very few abodes are equiped with central heating in Sydney. (And that's a good thing, we need to conserve as much oil & natural gas as we can). Moreover, Sydney cold is a damp-ish, repressive cold rather than a crisp, true cold, that sharp almost "hot" cold. So no matter how many layers of clothes you wear you can't escape it, particularly in the evening. I feel colder here than I do in the nearby ranges and mountains where the temperature really drops to sub-freezing temperatures. So if it was colder in Sydney in a way in would be warmer...(?)
I'd be happy for a true winter like you get in the ranges and/or Tasmania, but this Sydney winter is bullshit and I'm fuckin' over it!
...by late-August it's over anyway...can't really complain...

...I do wonder what it's like to be living in Quebec City during January/February...Churchill...Anchorage...Vladivostok...
I suppose one gets used to that harsh climate though it remains harsh nonetheless.
...May the sun shine wherever you are ! :-0

No comments:

Al-Anon

enjoying a bevvy Awakening to the ‘good’ in our lives and to the fulfilling sense of gratitude which follows often comes to us via ...