Saturday, May 17, 2008

Song to Eva


I've posted a new recording on myspace page; the song is called 'Song to Eva' and it can be heard first-up by clicking on www.myspace.com/rossmusician. This is a newly recorded version of the song featuring Brigette Ember on lead vocal. My original vocals on the track appearing on my 'Sea in June' album were, imo, diabolical; I may be being hard on myself but Brigette's are wonderful and somewhat fitting for the style and flavour of the song.

The song was inspired by Alice Sebold's novel The Lovely Bones
and is dedicated to the late, great Eva Cassidy (1963-1996). In short the novel is narrated in the first person by 14-year old Susie Salmon, who'd been raped and murdered in the cornfields near her family home, and is speaking from her new vantage point in 'heaven'. She visits her family often - dad, mum, sister, brother etc - and observes their trials and tribulations as they cope with Susie's loss and the events that unfold around that. The Lovely Bones is an incredibly poignant and moving novel somehow relates very well to the quality and flavour of Eva Cassidy's music.

The novel reaches its apogee towards the end in a paragraph that contained the words of the novel's title. This paragraph blew me apart, for anyone who's ever had someone close to them die these words delivered a shattering yet universal perspective on life, and its neverending cycles:

These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections - sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent - that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events that my death wrought were merely the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous body had been my life.

Here are the lyrics to 'Song to Eva'. I hope you enjoy the song, it is jazzy in an ersatz, nu-folk jazz kind of way. Note that the lyric "crink in the knees" relates to an injoke pertaining to the novel.

Song to Eva

Words & Music by Ross B © 2006


Lay me down in a hospital bed
a wreath of roses wrapped round my aching head
you don’t see me disappear
I swim around you like the floating deer, so

I've come to the end of a comatose life
Give me bread and gold to survive
I sense I’ve been too mercurial
to break the back of the merciful

I make my exit centre left
where the rooms blow in treble clef
Send your love to me
‘cause love is all that’s left of me

Trust me Lady, trust me please
I didn’t leave you for the crink in the knees
I only left you ‘cause the thread ran bare
it’s not up to me it’s up to them

I make my exit stage right
I drift away without sorrow or fright
I wobble gently like balloons in the air
I may be going but my body’s still there

I make my exit centre left
where the rooms sing in treble clef
send your love to me
‘cause love is all that’s left of me

send your love to me
‘cause love is all that’s left of me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely, just lovely! I love the lyric "Send your love to me 'cause love is all that's left of me". Hopefully, if we live a good life, that's all that will be left of us, too.

Take care and keep on writin'
The Knitting Songbird

Lian said...

Ross, it's a beautiful song.
I like it.

The new photo also looks nice. cute~

Al-Anon

enjoying a bevvy Awakening to the ‘good’ in our lives and to the fulfilling sense of gratitude which follows often comes to us via ...